Block of the Month


Back in the day,
{I am aging myself}
I had the third Thursday of the month sewing group and the first Monday PTA meeting and the every other Saturday produce co-op. Before I knew it every day of the month was filled.



(These two photos courtesy of Joanna Figeroua)


Just like I was a sucker for the "every other" type of meeting, I have little control for Block of the Months.
What is different? They are wonderful little packages delivered right to my door as a little gift. No other obligation!

Right now I only have a couple of block of the months in the works. I missed out on Fig Tree and Co.'s BOM from last year so I was not going to let that happen again. This one is a mystery so I have no idea what it is going to be. Anticipation.....


I am also doing the Austin Bluebird by Minick and Simpson. This one is a real challenge for me since I do not do the "A" word. Applique that is, but I love anything red white and blue.

Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings is the queen of designing BOM's shared a bit of fantastic advise that I wanted to pass along. Lisa recommends that no matter what, cut your block out each month. When you have a few minutes to sew your pieces will all be cut and ready. I thought this was great advise and keeps your blocks from piling up.

I love the freedom of quilting and there are so many ways to do each step along the way. There is no right or wrong way, just what works best for you.



 
Untitled
I have a question for you.
Do you press your seams open or to one side? and why?